What do I do if my visa is due to expire or has already expired?

We recommend you consider your next step and options at least 3 to 6 months before your current visa expires to allow for adequate visa processing time. This means you need to know what you would like to do next – return home, stay in Australia to continue studying, or stay in Australia to work or travel.

Depending on the conditions of your current visa, some of the options you may be able to consider are:

  • a bridging visa.
  • move to a different visa class.
  • renew your existing visa.

Explore visa options here.

If your visa has already expired, you need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to consider your options.



Bridging visa

CBHS International Health covers

  • 010 (bridging Visa A)
  • 020 (bridging Visa B)
  • 030 (bridging Visa C)

A bridging visa allows you remain in the country legally during the gap between your previous visa and the new visa you have applied for. Different bridging visas have different conditions. Learn more about bridging visas under the “other visas” category

If your bridging visa is to cover you to continue your studies, you will need to continue your OSHC.

However, if your bridging visa Is to allow you to commence working in Australia, you will be required to purchase OVHC. If you are unsure, contact the CBHS International Health team and they will guide you to purchase the right cover that meets the requirements and suits your needs.

Moving to a 485 skilled graduate temporary visa

Many students on a study visa may wish to remain in the country to work after they have completed their studies. The 485 visa is the most common option for international students after graduation. Learn more about the 485 skilled graduate temporary visa here.

You must be in Australia when you make your application for a 485 visa, and you must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to applying for the 485 visa.

Basic eligibility includes:

You must:

  • Be under 50 years of age
  • Hold eligible visa
  • Have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course.

There are 2 separate work streams under the temporary graduate visa with different requirements.

Graduate Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupation in Australia needs. This allows you to stay up to 18 months.

For more details, click here

Post-Study Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution with a recent degree, a CRICOS-registered course. This work stream allows you to stay between 2 and 4 years, depending on your qualification.

You must also have adequate health cover for the duration of your stay to be granted this visa. The appropriate health cover for the 485 skilled graduate temporary visa is Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC). Start here to choose the health cover that suits your needs and budget.

For more details, click here

Other visa categories you may be able to consider
  • 482 (temporary skill shortage)
  • 457 (temporary work - skilled)
  • 403 (temporary work – international relations)
  • 408 (temporary activity)
  • 407 (training visa)
  • 476 (skilled – recognised graduate)
  • 489 (skilled regional)
  • 400 (temporary work short stay specialist)
  • 500 (student)

More details for the above visa categories can be found here.

Suggested Articles

Transportation in Australia

Find out more

Internet and phones

Discover the different types of mobile and internet options and know how to make international calls.

Find out more

Have a question? We're here to help.

From pricing to products, or when to see the doctor - our team is always happy to help.

Contact us