- Be sun safe, find out how to protect yourself from the sun.
- Always swim between the flags.
- Rips are strong currents of water that can take you away from the shore. Learn how to spot, survive and escape a rip current.
- When swimming at beaches or in open waters, you need to be aware of some dangerous marine creatures that may be lurking in the water. Learn which marine creatures can be dangerous and what to do if you are stung or bitten by one.
- Download the Beachsafe app and access the latest information about every Australian beach on the go.
It sounds harmless enough, but did you know rock fishing is one of the most dangerous sports in Australia?
- Don’t go fishing alone. Always go in a group and keep an eye on each other.
- Be sure to let people know where you are and when you expect to be back home.
- Always check the weather and the tide conditions before you leave home and monitor them while you’re out.
- Choose the safest possible location and wear non-slip shoes and a life jacket
- Be sure to read more safety tips here from NSW Government Water Safety Department.
Whether you’re swimming, boating, or just relaxing on the riverbank, there are many hidden dangers that you may not be aware of.