Transportation in Australia

Getting around in Australia

Australia has a good network of public transportation as well as other options for getting around. Our public transport system includes buses, trains, and in some areas trams and ferries. Most towns and cities also have taxi services as well as Uber and other private car services such as airport transfer services, that can take you from door-to-door.

The smaller, more regional towns and cities often have less public transport available than the larger cities. Your institution should be able to provide you with details of public transport in and around your campus. They also sometimes have their own transportation systems in place.

Accommodation: Where to stay in Australia

Travelling across Australia

While you’re here, you may wish to see more of the country. As Australia is a vast country, there are a range of transport services available to get you around. For longer distances, Australia has buses, trains and domestic airlines available, as well as various small regional airlines to get you to more regional or remote areas.

The three main domestic airlines in Australia are:

The cost of transportation in Australia

The costs of public transport are different depending on where you live in Australia and the type of transport you're using. Use the relevant state or territory transport website for where you're living to see the costs, services available and the timetables. Some students qualify for student travel concessions. You can look these up on each state or territories transport website as well. The links are below:

Driving in Australia

Each state and territory has its own licensing requirements and driving restrictions. Generally, if you hold a current driver’s licence in your home country, you may be able to drive in Australia without sitting for an Australian driver’s licence, but only for three months. If your licence is not in English, you will need to carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit (IDP). You should familiarise yourself with the road regulations for where you're going to live - and remember, in Australia, we drive on the left-hand side of the road.

Confirm the requirements for your licence by visiting the relevant state or territory government website or go to to find out more.

You may also be interested in
At CBHS International Health we want to make sure you have the best experience possible during your stay in Australia,
if you're in doubt, give us a call, and we’ll help as much as we can.


Once you’ve confirmed where you're going to study and/or work, you can look for suitable accommodation.
Learn more


If you're staying in Australia for a while, then understanding how banking works here, and how to open a bank account, will be useful.
Learn more