If you are an overseas student coming to study in Australia, you will be eligible for OSHC. An overseas student is:

  1. a person who is the holder of a Student Visa; or
  2. a person who
    1. is an applicant for a Student Visa; and
    2. is the holder of a Bridging Visa; and
    3. was the holder of a Student Visa immediately before being granted the Bridging Visa.

Note: If you hold a policy for a single person and the person who received the treatment is the secondary visa holder (rather than the primary visa holder) you won’t be eligible to claim. Instead, you’ll need to update cover to a policy that covers Couples, Sole Parents or Family (whichever is appropriate for you). If you have an ineligible visa subclass for your chosen product at time of claiming, you won’t be eligible to claim.

Visa and passports

To make sure you are eligible to claim on your OSHC policy, we may need to verify your visa status. When joining CBHS International Health OSHC, you consent to us verifying your visa with the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA).

Your overseas student health cover (OSHC) covers you for a range of medical services (see your policy document for detailed information).

Your Membership card

When you join CBHS International Health OSHC and activate your policy, you will receive a membership card. You'll need your membership card any time that you:

  • contact us
  • visit a doctor
  • arrange to go into hospital
  • make a claim
  • make any other medical enquiries.

Keep your card safe, it is your responsibility. You must let us know as soon as your card is lost, stolen, or someone who isn’t on your policy is using your card. To make sure someone else can’t use your card, you must present photo identification when you show your card.

If you haven’t received your card, let us know.

Waiting periods

Some of the medical treatments covered under your student health cover will require you to wait for a period of time before you can claim benefits for them, this is called a waiting period. 

Your waiting periods start from the day your health cover starts. If you are transferring from another health fund, we will recognise the waiting periods you have already served with your previous health fund.

Your waiting periods are:

ServiceWaiting period
Pre-existing psychiatric treatments as an inpatient or outpatient. 2 months
Other Pre-Existing Conditions.12 months
Pregnancy-Related Services including birth related services. Excluding emergencies.12 months
All other servicesNo waiting periods


If you had a medical condition before you joined your CBHS International OSHC, we call it a pre-existing condition and you may not be covered. In other words, a pre-existing condition is an illness or medical condition, the signs or symptoms of which existed at any time in the period of six months before you became insured under an OSHC policy. This is determined by a medical advisor appointed by CBHS International Health and takes into consideration any information provided by your Healthcare Provider. Refer to the policy document sent to you when you take out OSHC for more details.

When you go to hospital, and are treated in the hospital by a doctor, surgeon or anaesthetist, you will be charged a fee. The Australian Government has set a recommended fee for most medical services, including hospital services (called the Medicare Benefits Schedule, or MBS). If the person who treats you in hospital charges the recommended MBS fee (and the service is included in your health cover) you will be covered for the service. If they choose to charge above the MBS fee (and the service is included in your cover), then you’ll have to pay the difference. If the service is not included in your cover, for example cosmetic surgery, then you will not be covered and you’ll need to pay the full fee.

Remember to contact us before you go to hospital, so we can tell you if there are any exclusions, restrictions or limits on the treatment you're seeking. You should also ask your doctor and the hospital if there are any additional costs that might be higher than those covered by your OSHC.

In Australia, most minor health issues can be treated at a medical centre by the local doctor, also called a General Practitioner or GP. The GP can prescribe medicines if needed. Going straight to hospital in Australia is usually reserved for medical emergencies or major accidents.

CBHS International Health has a network of doctors where you will have a number of free visits, so you will have no out-of-pocket expenses (additional fees) for most services. To find your nearest doctor, call us on 1300 174 538.

If it’s not an emergency

If you’re feeling sick or you’ve been hurt, but it’s not life-threatening it’s not an emergency. For example, you’ve twisted your ankle or have a minor cough or cold. 

  1. Call us on 1300 174 538 to talk to a nurse or to find a doctor near you
  2. Visit a doctor at a medical centre, or find a doctor on the Choice network (choose a CBHS International Health Network doctor if you can).
  3. The doctor will decide what treatment you need, prescribe medicine if needed, or refer you to a specialist doctor, for example a gastroenterologist, dermatologist or surgeon (if you need an operation). You can’t visit a specialist doctor in Australia without a referral from your local doctor first.

If it’s an emergency

An emergency is when you’ve been badly hurt, or you have immediate illness that is threatening your life. For example, you’re having an asthma attack, or you (or someone close to you) has been in a major accident.

  1. Dial 000 on your phone
  2. Tell them if you need a translator
  3. They’ll send emergency services, like an ambulance, to help you.

The Australian Government has set a recommended fee for most medical services such as visiting your doctor. This is called the Medicare Benefits Schedule or, MBS. If your doctor charges the recommended MBS fee, we’ll pay for the entire fee. But if the doctor charges more than the recommended MBS fee, you’ll have to pay the difference. We call this an ‘out-of-pocket expense’ or ‘gap’ payment.

The doctor will ask you to pay on the day of your appointment or, they will send us the bill to pay. If you pay for the medical service on the day of your appointment, make sure you get a receipt with your name on it so that you can claim. You can make a claim quickly and easily using the CBHS International mobile app. We’ll assess your claim and pay your claim benefit into your Australian bank account. Once you submit a claim, you should receive the benefit within 3 to 5 business days if it's a Medical claim. For Hospital claims, the hospital can expect to receive payment within and up to 28 calendar days after submitting their bill.