Starting a new journey in a new country, while separated from family and friends, can cause feelings of loneliness, anxiety and isolation for some. Did you know that one in six people living in Australia are currently experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety or both.
What is mental health?
The World Health Organisation defines mental health as a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential and can cope with the normal stresses of life.
Are you affected?
According to Headspace’s latest research, close to two-thirds of students surveyed reported high or very high psychological distress at some point during the past 12 months. Be proactive with your mental health:
Are you thriving or surviving at work?
- Take this 6-minute survey to measure your wellbeing and how you can improve
- Read these 8 ways to improve your mental health at work
- Ted Talks on managing stress
Exam time = stress time
Balancing study and life can be tricky! If you need help during this time, look at these resources:
Where to get help?
- Headspace is National Youth Mental Health Foundation and its services are free or low cost and confidential. It has over 100 locations over Australia.
- Lifeline is 24-hour Telephone Crisis Support providing suicide prevention services, mental health support and emotional assistance via telephone, face-to-face and online
- Beyond Blue provides extensive list of national helplines and websites
What to do when you need us
Call us. Anytime. Any day. Any language. If you require assistance, please call the 24/7 medical, interpreter and personal assistance helpline^:
Visitors/Workers: 1300 174 537
Students: 1300 174 538
^ CBHS International Health may refer you to third party providers when you use the medical, interpreter and personal assistance helpline. If you decide to engage a provider, it will be on the basis that CBHS International Health will not be responsible, and you will not hold CBHS International Health responsible, for any liability that may arise from that engagement.